How do I submit an application?

All applications should be submitted via the HKUST Online Admissions System. Please follow the steps and make the application before the respective deadlines.

The application fee of HKD500 must be paid upon submission of application in the system.

What documents do I need to upload for application?

Scanned copies of documents which will help the admissions committee review your application should be uploaded to the Online Admissions System at the application stage. The following are examples of documents you should upload:

  • Transcripts
  • Degree certificates/ diplomas
  • If available, diploma supplements
  • Score reports of IELTS (Academic Module), TOEFL, GMAT or GRE

After accepting an admission offer, however, you will need to submit the official documents, or certified true copies of the official documents (for irreplaceable documents only), by the date specified on the offer letter.

What do you mean by “Institution Grading System”?

By “Institution Grading System”, we are asking for a document, e.g. the back of the transcript, information from your student handbook, etc., containing information on how your institution grades your courses and the grade scale. The document should include the highest mark you can achieve in your institution, e.g. 100%.

How to create an account in the HKUST Online Admissions System?

Refer to: Smart tips to create an account

Can I make changes to my application after submission?

The following modifications are possible after an application has been submitted:

  • Marks/ scores not available at the time of application can be provided
  • Supporting documents can be uploaded
  • Invitations to referees can be resent
  • If quota available, more referees can be added
  • Personal contact details can be updated

If applicants expect to obtain academic/ examination results later, they can include the expected attainment date in application and provide the results after submitting their application.

All other information entered cannot be changed or deleted once the application has been submitted.


How will I be informed for an interview?

Interview invitation will be sent to you by email.

How will the interview be conducted?

Interviews will be conducted via Skype or face-to-face. Information will be provided in the invitation email.

When will I be notified of an offer of admission?

Offers for the Fall intake will normally be made in the period from January to August. Please log on to the Online Admissions System to track the progress of your application from time to time. Email notifications will also be sent to successful applicants. Applicants may also contact the program office directly for enquiries on admissions decisions.

I have received an admission offer online. What should I do to accept the offer?

Successful applicants must accept the offer online by a specified date and pay a non-refundable deposit which constitutes part of the tuition fee. Applicants are also required to submit official copies of all documents required within the period specified in the offer letter. 

How should I notify the University that I have met the offer conditions?

In order to confirm the offer for registration, applicants with conditional offers must submit documentary proof of having met the conditions as early as possible and no later than mid-July for Fall admission, or the end of December for Spring admission. They will see "Conditions met" in their program choice status in the Online Admissions System once fulfillment is confirmed.

In case I fail to meet the conditions, will the University refund the deposit to me?

The deposit paid will be refunded if an applicant provides proof that he/ she has failed to meet the conditions of the offer. Otherwise, any deposit paid is non-refundable.

What are the University Codes for TOEFL, IELTS, GMAT and GRE?

TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
All PG programs
Score Recipient Code: 0170
(Dept Code: 01 = Educational Administration)
Score reports with Dept Codes other than 00 and 01 will also be forwarded to us.

IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
Office of Postgraduate Studies
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

Room 6418 (Lifts 25/26)
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Clear Water Bay, Kowloon, Hong Kong

(No postal code is required for Hong Kong)

GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test)
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology - HKUST Business School
Select : PhD degree programs
Other master's degree programs, Full-Time
Other master's programs, Part-Time

GRE (Graduate Record Examination)

What supporting documents should I submit and how?

Scanned copies of supporting documents should be uploaded to the Online Admissions System at the application stage. After accepting an offer, successful applicants will need to submit official documents, or certified true copies of official documents (for irreplaceable documents only), by mid-July for Fall admission, or the end of December for Spring admission. A specified date is mentioned in the offer of admission.

The Documents Required section provides details of the documents that applicants should arrange to send.

What are "official certified true copies"?

"Official certified true copies” include but are not limited to:

  • Copies officially imprinted, signed and certified by the issuing authority concerned, or
  • Documents that have been duly declared as true copies by a notary public (for example a commissioner of oaths at a local district office in Hong Kong).

Do I need to apply for a HKSAR entry permit/ student visa?

In general, non-local students must obtain an entry permit/ student visa before coming to Hong Kong to study. The application normally takes at least 8 weeks. Students should apply for an entry permit/ student visa soon after accepting the offer in order to meet the target of arriving at HKUST two weeks before the program begins. If you are still unsure whether you need a visa to study, you may consult the HKSAR Immigration Department web site.

Do I need to apply for an entry permit/ student visa if I have a dependent visa?

If you hold a valid dependent visa during your program of study, you do not need an entry permit/ student visa. However, you will need one when your dependent visa expires.

Is it compulsory to submit my entry permit/ student visa application through HKUST?

All students from the People’s Republic of China must apply for their entry permit via HKUST.

Other non-local students may choose to make other arrangements to apply for a student visa. In that case, please be mindful that you will have to:

  • find your own local sponsor (the head of postgraduate studies will NOT act as your sponsor in this case);
  • make your own arrangements for the visa collection when it is approved;
  • provide additional documents (e.g. a financial statement from the local sponsor);
  • invite the local sponsor to attend an interview with HKSAR Immigration Department upon requested.

When should I apply?

The application process normally takes about 8 weeks.  Applicants who fail to obtain a valid entry permit/ student visa in time for program registration will not be allowed to register as student at the University. You are advised to apply at least 9 weeks (11 weeks for students from the People’s Republic of China) prior to program commencement.

What documents do I need to submit?

Please refer to the Checklist of Documents Required for Visa/ Entry Permit Application. The relevant documents/ samples are downloadable in the Online Application System.

Where should I submit the documents for my entry permit/ student visa application?

At the end of the online process, we provide you with a downloadable Mailing Cover showing our mailing address:

Room 6418 (Lifts 25/26)
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Clear Water Bay, Kowloon
Hong Kong

I am a resident of the People’s Republic of China. What should I do if my travel document is not yet ready when I submit my application for entry permit?

PRC residents who have not yet been issued a travel document should provide their name in pinyin and copies of their PRC resident identity card as supporting documents.

What amount should I put on my financial proof?

The HKSAR Immigration Department requires evidence that you are well covered financially during your period of study at HKUST. They will want to know you can cover tuition, accommodation and daily living expenses for the period of your studies.

It will also be helpful if you can provide evidence of your financial standing (e.g., a photocopy of your latest bank statement, passbook, etc.). If you are awarded a postgraduate studentship, you may include the amount and duration of the postgraduate studentship in Part 7 (iii) on Page 3 of the ID995A form (with proof).

How long will my entry permit/ student visa application take?

The application normally takes at least 8 weeks after all supporting documents are submitted. Students should apply for an entry permit/ student visa immediately after accepting the offer so as to meet the target of arriving at HKUST 2 weeks before the program begins. Students from the PRC should allow an additional two weeks to apply for the Exit-Entry Permit For Travelling To And From Hong Kong And Macao (EEP)《往来港澳通行证》 and Relevant Exit Endorsement 《相关赴港签注》 from the Public Security Bureau Office (户口所在地公安机关出入境管理部门) where your household registration is kept. You may visit here for a suggested timeline of applying for an entry permit/ student visa via HKUST.

How do I know the status of my entry permit/ student visa application?

Any status updated for your application will be shown in the Online Application System. Please make use of the System to track the progress.

How do I activate my entry permit/ student visa in Hong Kong?

Passport holders should stick their student visa/ entry permit label onto a blank page of their passport. Make sure that the Immigration Officer puts a Student Visa Stamp on your passport stating “STUDENT – Permitted to remain until DD-MM-YYYY (a student status expiration date)”.

PRC Students shall stick the label onto the EEP. For those using an electronic EEP, you should present it together with the entry permit. Be noted that the label will be voided if it is stuck into a PRC passport.

Will I be provided university housing?

Student accommodation is ONLY available to full-time research postgraduate students. Accommodation standards and rents vary considerably. However, rent is generally high by international standards and living space small.

How can I know more about living in Hong Kong?

You may visit for details about living in Hong Kong.